So ever since my clever sister-in-law tried acid staining I've been waiting for my chance. While living in a basement my host was already wanting to finish, it was the perfect shot. As a matter a fact, she loved the idea. So after settling in the first few weeks we got to work. Here's a quick shot of the finished product and then if you're interested I'll go through the steps.
Below is the first picture I took after they laid the beams. Pretty basic right?
Then, a couple of weeks later, some plumbing issues caused a little flood. Read the full story here
It was quite a mess mopping it all up
Then when my host was ready for the project we began by thoroughly sweeping the surface. Scraping all the random bits of paste off the floor. Then using the product below. Using this removes the need to sand the surface. We had a baby sleeping upstairs so we thought this to be the better option.
Just pour it on and mop it around, don't worry about brush strokes at this point. You can apply as many coats as needed to get that sandpaper texture. Once it dries, go to the next step.
Get some hot water/pressure washer and clean off the surface. Sanding or the above product can leave a little residue and it's very important the concrete's texture is clean and porous to absorb as much stain as possible leaving a very rich appearance.
We couldn't get a pressure washer to we washed by hand. Doing it this way requires repeated washed until no soap foams when scrubbing.
While the floor was drying, there were many workers building a bathroom next door. The drywaller, plumber, tiler, electrician, and carpenter.
M. and I even got to put up the recessed lighting on our own. Another check for my handywoman's to do list. Check!
We laid the lineoleum and finished that bit.
Then when all the workers were done traipsing around we cleaned the whole thing top to bottom.
Back to the floors, I don't have an 'in process' shot but this was the result after mopping on the stain one time. It wouldn't been easier to use a sprayer but we didn't have that option. So because a mop leaves marks it is very important to work in small areas at a time and to mop in all directions so it looks more even and buffed from one section to another.
Here's the closet after the one coat.
And M. and I both love the rich dark appearance so we added three more coats the exact same way. Make sure to use a brush to get on the edges (especially if you have existing walls and aren't waiting for them like here) and use the brush to also paint the floor grooves. It looks finished doesn't it. Well, wait, there's one more step. And I don't have a pic for it but it's the sealing step. Make sure to seal the concrete especially if it will be outside. We sealed because it created a consistent sheen without brush marks that made the floor look more professional and even feel nice when you walk on it.
There it is! Wholah!
Labels: acid stain, flooring, housing, Projects