Travel Nursing Challenges


I've already posted about some of them. Here's something new. The people I work with at the hospital are great. And the work on my home unit is exactly where I want to be. I love kids and the pediatric unit is perfect. In fact, I don't have experience with anything else. At least since nursing school. And that's been fine with me. Anyway, as most travel nursing forums seem to end up saying throughout the posts-get everything in writing. My home unit floated me a couple of weeks ago to the surgical unit. Ha! Yeah, I can do it and I can complete everything that needs to be done. I didn't want to rock the boat or make things difficult for my charge nurse so I went to the unit. Other than things being very different than I'm used to, it worked out. Now, I definitely didn't enjoy it and I told my charge nurse if there were any other options that floating me, to try them. Then the hospital called me off for the first four hours this week. The called me in and had me float the rest of shift.

Here are the issues:

-I would never have been hired to care for adults since all agencies require experience. So it isn't consistent with my job title.
-Legally I would have no backing by my agency if any issues occurred while I was caring for adults
-There are no set rules in my contract about floating, so the hospital can pretty much put me wherever they want.

The ways to try and fix things:

-Talk to your recruiter. This is one of the reasons it is very important to find an agency who fixes issues and a recruiter you who you can speak honestly with. Check out my page with my favorite agencies for help.
-If you have yet to sign a contract make sure it states the following details: where you can float, how often in an assignment you can float, and what happens if where they need you to float doesn't come into your realm of experience. Get it all in writing.

Now, I'm not at all a cynical person. My family usually tells me I tend to be idealistic. Every travel nurse, especially during that first contract, wants and needs to feel safe in their realm of care. And you need to be the judge if your experience and confidence level will allow you to float to cardiology, orthopedics, surgical, pediatrics, or anything else. Know your limits and be open with your recruiter.

I'm still working on the details. But, I'm thankful my recruiter works hard networking at her agency to figure out the best method to make details work.

Labels: ,