First Tokyo Train Ride

My first train ride I took to get to Shonan Memorial Garden, Nishi Tachikawa, Tokyo. Some of my language school classmates invited me for a picnic and it was a lot of fun interspersing the four languages represented between all of us.

the train station in nishi hachioji


The first vending machine with a computer screen that I've every seen. It's huge!

Riding the train, it wasn't very busy so there was plenty of room.



Here's Shonan Memorial Park. Japan keeps their parks well. I don't think I saw one bit of trash anywhere in this park 10times the size of most parks I've been to.

Below is a sign reading "ba-bekiyu ga-den". Catch that? A barbecue garden. 



And all of these tulip pictures are for my brother N. who taught me all there is to know about the lovely flower.











Here's a whole field of poppies; perfect for my little poppy herself.





Here's our little picnic: meatballs, eggs, and brownies by Arienne, a phillipino, & rice and fried chicken by Sayn and Canthan from cambodia.


Tsuy (Vietnam), Cantha (Cambodia), and Arienne (Phillipines)


Sayn, Cantha's fiance 


me, tsuy, cantha, and arienne






Picnics are pretty popular here. "Ohanami" are picnics specifically done to watch and enjoy the cherry blossoms, sakura.


The kids' playground had a balloon mountain and fake rivers.



Exploring throughout the park...




Everything was perfectly detailed, down to each bench and sitting area.




I'm still confused what these chipmunks were doing "guarding" the entrance to the stairway.












Mike and Deb, this is in memory of our great frisbee golf game in Denver. 






There was one little stand selling flowers, herbs, and little trees.


I fell in love with succulents and purchased 3. 


arienne, nikka, tsuy, chantha, hazel, and me (nikka and hazel [phillipines] joined us half way through for our second lunch). And Sayne was a nice guy and took many pictures of all of us.




And a lake swarming with canoes and 'water carriages'. I really don't know what they're called but they looked like fun.




To help me explore and learn my way around a bit, Sayne and Cantha took me to downtown Hachioji. The rest of the group dissipated through the train stops. Then, we made our way through the city streets.




They're everywhere! and rightfully so :)


And cute little bakeries on every corner too. I think they're mainly for the foreigners though because most Japanese seem to like a lot of other foods more than breads. Something I will never understand.


And what big city is complete without a Mc...what? Yep.


And as the sunset started, we also began finding our way home again. A perfect relaxing first-time experience with the trains. Thanks all for easing my fears thus far.






Labels: , , , , , ,