You do see, you just don't observe

What does 'observe' mean?

Notice or Perceive (something) and Register it as being significantto Watch or Study someone or something with care and attention in order to discover somethingto Celebrate or Commemorate
show Respect towardsConform one's actions or practices to
make Mention ofDiscover or Determine the existence, presence, or fact of


Walking down a sidewalk, sitting in a coffee shop, and even at work and home I absolutely love observing strangers, neighbors, friends, mentors, etc.  Others' comments often interchange this word with like activities such as people watching. But it's so much more and done right, which I fail at often, can be very meaningful. Occasionally I'll be sitting next to a table of a first date chuckling in my mind at their fumbling conversation and nervous tones. Or charting at work and hear how my charge nurse's life and marriage is in shambles. Do you hear or do you observe?

Observing done right is what changes lives. It's what changed the disciples who followed after our Saviour. It's what springs our conscience into being to judge if what we're doing is right or wrong. It is the root behavior of every single one of our actions. Every single topic people seem to persuade us into we rely on this step to make every decision.

How can any of us expect to help others if we can't even stop to observe the situation, who they are, why might they be acting the way they are? I'm in an age group of young adults who seem to want to run and do something, they could even seem to care less what it is. But they are for sure they want to do...something. They respond to situations in such a way it seems wrong to just stay still and observe. They'd refute this and say something along the lines of, "I finally have the money and time and to make a difference. Why can't I do [whatever it is]?"

You may be thinking, you have no right to share this perspective when you travel around and don't seem to stop jumping around. How are you observing? And it's a very good question I love to remind myself of in my life and day-to-day decisions. I really do love the process of observing, which is contrary to most. I love to stop and watch. What am I doing? Why am I doing it? Who I am I relying on? It's a common notion, you don't have to physically stay in place to observe. But it can be a symptom...of what? Stir craziness, discontentment, frustration with a person or place. It takes observation to differentiate. And what people use to observe makes all the difference.

Oftentimes, it is the times when I'm struggling with those questions above the same times as when I've stopped reading or observing the good book. So, taking the time to study out those answers is imperative to coming to a conclusion. Can't make a decision? Read it...observe it. Those that can't make a decision frustrate me the most because as much as I love to observe, as the definition above states, it can't be done correctly without conformation and action.

I could ask you to look at your life and what you have questions about but my personality just finds that too presumptuous so I'll do it to myself. Should I go to Japan for the rest of my life? Should I keep travel nursing or nursing in general? Would it be best to get married first? How involved should I get with those around me? Would I ever consider adoption as a single or married person? Should I do what I know or jump into unknown territory? It all will be answered in God's time and through God's book. My part is to observe what I read. It's my job to...


notice or perceive (something) and register it as being significantto watch or study someone or something with care and attention in order to discover somethingto celebrate or commemorate
show respect towardsconform one's actions or practices to
make mention ofdiscover or determine the existence, presence, or fact of

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,