Succulent Chair DIY





Need:
A chair
white stain OR limewash (can be made with hydrated lime and water)
succulents*
 *(you can propagate leaf by leaf or transplant whole plants for a quicker finish)
a base for the succulents* 
*(I used an antique strainer and fishing line underneath for a strong hold)
several clean cloths
clear wax

-The base can be completely made out of chicken wire or something similar but I wanted to be able to replace the succulents every so often which is why I put mine into a separate container. 

I had such a fun time with this project. For me, I like to keep projects like this fun and light. So finding a chair that fit what I pictured in my head took awhile but the perusing the antique shops in the mean time was just as fun. 
The chair I found was untreated oak with a round seat and no base. This made it so easy for me to create the finish I wanted in the wood and put together a base using the pre-existing upholstery holes for the fishing line base. What luck!

So this is what I did:
1. Put a thin layer of clear wax all over the wood with a clean cloth
2. Dip a different clean cloth into the white stain and apply in the direction of the wood grain. I like a muted finish so I put a few layers on very thinly with a lot of wiping to ensure it wasn't too white for me. 
3. I let the stain dry for 30 minutes then applied a thick layer of wax. Wax on, wax off. This is where you want to make sure to have a couple clean cloths.
4. I made a base using fishing line through the upholstery holes. But another method could use chicken wire wrapped around some soil and moss, then stapled underneath the seat rim.
5. I filled my antique strainer with a small amount of soil and vermiculite. 
6. Since I only had a limited amount of succulents, I propagated them into the pot by pulling off full leaves and placing them into the soil (leaf tip out of the soil pointed up)
7. I placed spaghnum moss in and around the tray and placed my plants prettily in the container.

And place it in the sunshine! Try to forget to water it because they don't like lots of water and they need good drainage to truly flouish!





Labels: , , , ,